The Flesh Off The Bones - NSFW

I have gotten my hands on a sheep head recently and I wanted to try and get the skull clean. I had already cleaned some smaller skulls and bones from found dead animals in the past.  But never from a fully fleshed head. Here is the head, it's interesting to see the large jaw muscles.


I got as much flesh off the skull as I could, including the eyes, tongue and most of the tissue in the mouth and throat.


Then proceeded to simmer the head for a short while.


After which I scraped, pulled and tore off the remaining flesh and cartilage as well as the brain (through the foramen magnum). And put it back to simmer to repeat the process.


 You can see the skull is pretty much clean now.
However I did not manage to get all of the nerves and blood vessels out of the foramina, and some flesh remained at the base of the skull as well as remnants of the meninges. I did not want to put it back to simmer because I was concerned the skull would be damaged if it spent too long in the heat.
Looking around on the internet, I saw a lot of articles in favour of the cold maceration technique  and decided to finish the work that way, despite the current weather. Basically what it implies is leaving the bones in water to rot for a few days to several weeks, the bacteria doing all the work for you. It's smelly but since there is little tissue left, it should not be that bad. 


After that, I will need to degrease the skull and whiten it.
In the end, it should be very pretty as well as a great reference.



No comments:

Post a Comment